Try these protein-rich egg white bites for a quick breakfast on-the-go. Egg whites, red pepper, spinach, and seasonings are all that are required to produce this nutritious dish. Make this nutritious knockoff meal at home instead of waiting in line at Starbucks.
It’s time to confess. I am VERY simple. At least I truly adore Starbucks, so there’s something.
The aroma of freshly ground coffee, the welcoming atmosphere at each location, and the consistent flavor of my iced Americano with plenty of oat milk. Of course there are also those fluffy egg white bits with roasted red pepper.
I used to be rather dissatisfied with their breakfast options because they mainly promoted delicacies that were rich in calories, gluten, and carbohydrates. But as soon as the sous vide egg bits were made public, everyone fell in love!
They were light and flavorful, and a LOT healthier than other breakfast options.
However, because the pocketbook can’t really support a daily trip to the coffee shop in the morning, I set out to make those delicious nibbles myself. (Even checking their nutrition label to see the EXACT components they use!)
They are also incredibly quick and simple to create. Particularly if you employ the ingredient shortcut I’ll outline below!
For a heartier alternative to these Egg White Bites, take a look at these Breakfast Egg Muffins.
Items You just need a few simple items to make delicious egg white bites:
You’ll need a dozen egg whites. Simple tip: purchase liquid egg whites from the shop. In place of 1 egg white, 3 teaspoons are required. Regular egg beaters are available in most stores, while organic brands are available at Sprouts and Whole Foods.
Fresh red peppers are a more flavorful option than roasted ones, although both are acceptable. In either case, finely cut the peppers. If using roasted, take sure to squeeze off any excess liquid and pat dry.
- Spinach: Finely chopped for even distribution.
- Shredded cheese: While Starbucks uses Monterrey jack, you may also use mozzarella, cheddar, or even gruyere depending on your tastes and the ingredients you have on hand!
- Cottage cheese: Try to get at least 2%, preferably 4%. The cheese will make the bits incredibly watery if there is less fat present than this.
- A tiny bit of hot sauce. You might also use Sriracha or Tobasco. Or, skip it to escape the heat.
- Seasoning – You only need salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in this case.
A RECIPE FOR EGG WHITE BITS
These Egg White Bites are easy to make if you follow the simple instructions. For more precise ingredient amounts, see the recipe card below.
Simply break and separate the eggs, reserving the whites for the bowl, or use liquid egg whites straight from the carton. Pour into at least a 6-cup measuring cup or a bowl with a spout. This method will make getting the mixture into the muffin tins SO MUCH EASIER!
Seasonings should be added to the egg mixture. Beat everything together thoroughly.
Chop the spinach, green onions, and red peppers to prepare the cheese and vegetables.
Red peppers that have been roasted should be thoroughly dried after draining any excess liquid. The bites will become mushy if there is too much moisture.
Directly add the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and vegetables to the mixing bowl. Again, strive for cottage cheese with at least 2%, if not even 4% fat.
Stir everything thoroughly to mix.
Count the mix-ins.Mix each component together.
DRAIN AND SPRAY
Many people have observed how foods like egg bits adhere to the tins. This is likely to occur if you are using an old, scratched pan. Utilize a more recent pan and generously spray the interior with nonstick cooking spray.
As an alternative, heat them in silicone molds and remove them with ease.
The egg mixture should be placed in muffin tins 3/4 full. Stir the filling to make sure everything is thoroughly combined after they are all poured.
OPEN OVEN BAKE
Put the pan in a 350°F-preheated oven. For 20 to 22 minutes, set the timer.
Warning! These bites won’t be entirely cooked, but they will rise a LOT in the next 15 minutes. Check for doneness at least 18 minutes after starting. The egg bites will no longer be glossy and will be firm in the middle with a light brown outside.
Leave them to cool a little on the counter after they are fully cooked. Add some fresh parsley and relish!
(For an alternative way to prepare eggs, take a look at these Sous Vide Egg Bites!) In the oven, bake.
PREPARE MEALS AND STORE THEM
To Prepare Ahead: To save time, buy shredded cheese and egg whites in cartons. Vegetables can be chopped up to two days in advance.
Place the bites in an airtight container to store. Up to three to five days in the refrigerator.
- To Freeze: Place in the freezer for up to two to three months after carefully wrapping in plastic wrap. Be aware that the texture of egg white bits will alter if frozen.
- To reheat, warm in the microwave until well heated.
RESTRICTIONS TO DIET
The recipe below is already vegetarian, low-carb, gluten-free, and keto as indicated. You can make the following modifications and changes to make it meet your other dietary requirements.
- Dairy-free: Omit the cheese or substitute one that is dairy-free.
- Whole30: Leave out the cheese.
Are bite-sized egg whites healthy?
This egg white nibbles recipe is highly nutritious! Egg whites and veggies produce a wide variety of nutrients, including proteins, vitamins, and minerals, while being relatively low in calories and fat.
What’s in the Egg White Bites at Starbucks?
The ingredients in Starbucks’ nibbles include egg whites, spinach, red peppers, green onions, cheddar, and seasonings. In addition, they offer a bacon and gruyere version and one with kale and mushrooms.
How do I make bite-sized egg whites?
Egg whites and seasonings should be whipped before adding cheese, meat, or vegetables to produce egg white bites. Mixture should be poured into prepared muffin cups and baked for 20 minutes at 350°F.
EXPERT SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS
- Purchase whites. Purchase egg whites from the shop in a carton to save time.
- Locate a spout. To make pouring simple, combine the ingredients in a bowl or sizable measuring cup with a spout.
- Make them small. To ensure a smooth mixture with the bites, dice the vegetables finely.
- Cleanly grease. To prevent a mess, completely coat the muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Be honest! Even if the egg white bites lift and appear done earlier, give them at least 18 minutes to cook.